[BC] Is broadcast engineering a profession?

Mario Hieb, P.E. mario
Mon May 23 12:21:23 CDT 2005

At 11:01 PM 5/22/2005, you wrote:
>Mario  you seem to want to put the techs who do the day to day dirty work
>on the
>same level as Professional Engineers, lawyers, doctors, etc. This is far from
>the case.

Yes, because like other professions, there are life, safety and property
issues at stake. Often, the station engineer is the only one who knows
about the RFR issue or lightning safety. When broadcast engineers stop
mowing lawns and start doing real engineering work, they will earn the
respect they think they deserve.

>  First there is no particular set of qualifications for entry into the
>field.

Yes, and this is a problem.

>Second,day to day broadcast engineers have different priorities. Take
>game day co-ordination. There is a big element of self defense going here.
>When
>the super bowl comes to town, the is still the supermarket remote to get
>on air
>locally.

The Super Bowl is an interloper, not an incumbent. They hold STA licenses
and are responsible for any interference that may occur.

>CEs for the most part have the "get it done make it work no matter how"
>ethic. PDs and sales don't accept excuses for failed results. It is a much
>better defensive move to take control than swing in the wind at someone
>else's
>hand.

If the circus comes to town and the lions get loose, is it the fault of the
Police Department? No.

>Look at the co-ordination mess at the DNC at the hand of a highly paid
>professional.

I've worked the DNC and would say the problem lies in how the DNC runs the
show, not the paid coordinator.

>In broadcast PEs are good for a stamp and the occasional  opinion,
>the rest is better left to those with the practical experience. Don't get me
>wrong, I value a lot of professional opinion and probably consult with PEs
>from
>various field more than many, but at the end of the day practical
>experience is
>the glue that holds everything together.

Yes, practical experience is very important, and that's something the P.E.
should have too.

You make a good point about whether or not broadcast engineering is or
should be a profession. Maybe it really isn't. Perhaps it's the tech's that
do the dirty work that do most of the heavy lifting.

Mario

Mario Hieb, P.E.
Consulting Engineer

36 H St. #2