[BC] 802A series regulator failure

Tom Taggart tpt
Mon May 23 12:06:42 CDT 2005

Jim Tonne's suggestion on the "overvoltage kit" makes sense.  Talked to
Continental, they are sending me two kits (have the same exciter driving
my 2.5H).  It's simply a bracket & zener hanging on the big filter cap, as
Jim describes. I know neither unit has this modification. BTW, apparently
the 802B should also have this configuration, as the power supply side is
similar.

This site (the high school station) is at the end of a long power line
run, right beside a water tank for a city water system.  The MJ3001 likes
to pop as storms move through.  Likely two possibilities--lightning
induced spikes on the power line, or some combination of line voltage
variations after a power failure.  Possibly also coupled with a big pump
starting up or cycling at the water tank as the power comes back.

We have MOV's on the incoming AC line, but it sounds like a simple
over-voltage or even an under-voltage condition might be triggering the
failure (which, of course, the MOV's aren't designed to protect against)

Haven't had any problems like this at my own site, but our feed is buried
 from the pole, as that's what the landlord wanted. He takes hay off that
hill for his sheep. Also we have more homes on that feed, which probably
helps the load regulation.