[BC] Inexpensive exciter

Tom Taggart tpt
Sun May 22 08:47:16 CDT 2005

We built a non-com for a local school district about 4 years ago. 900
watts: 4 bay ERI driven by a 600 watt silicon valley
amp (similar to what they used as solid state IPA's for some transmitters)
driven by an Continental 802A.  Unfortunately, a
weakness of the 802 is that it uses a darlington pair to control the
output power. When this transistor shorts, the output
goes to the full fifty watts, frying the input transistors in the power
amp.   So we put a smaller fuse in.  And for some
reason the MJ3001's like to blow frequently at this site.

Anyhoo, after replacing a MJ3001 for about the 3rd time, we're discussing
getting a new exciter.  The 802 would be retired
to service in a translator.  Need about 15 watts to drive the Silicon
Valley, so would be looking for an exciter with about
20 watts.  Obviously doesn't need to be digital or very fancy, looking for
something under $2K.  Any suggestions?