[BC] State licensing: Pro's and Con's

Cowboy curt
Sat May 21 15:13:36 CDT 2005

On Saturday 21 May 2005 13:27, Mario Hieb, P.E. wrote:
> Yes, there are negatives to state licensing, but there might be positives
> too, such as:

 Methinks any attempt at state licensing a bad idea, such as they way
 it is now illegal in Minnisota to plug in an extension telephone without
 a state license, in any commercial facility.
 Here's why...

> 1. Keep unqualified individuals out of the profession.

 I know many "licensed" engineers who couldn't engineer their way
 out of a paper bag.

> 2. An increase in perceived status by employers/clients.

 No. Were that true, the old First, or even current SBE certification
 would hold more sway than it does, if any.

> 3. Employers/clients would have to hire licensed engineers.

 Keeping ME largely unemployed.
 I can not afford the time, if the money, to get 50 licenses !

> 4. If the engineer is asked to do something stupid or illegal, he/she can
> say, "sorry, but I could lose my license if I did that."

 He can say something very similar now, if he will.

> 5. Engineers would regulate their own profession.

 Tried, and failed.

> 6. Licensed professionals make more money than unlicensed ones.

 Ya think ?
 I know what I made last year.
 I doubt a license would help any.

> I was a typical broadcast engineer (earning squat) for many years, and then
> I got my P.E. license; a state license. Since then, I earn significantly
> more money because I now do work that requires a license.

 Likely, in your home state alone.
 =I= ( and others like me ) almost never get a chance to work in my home state.

 Largely, I would personally oppose this thought, because it would put
 nearly all broadcast consulting engineers out of buisness, and we would be
 replaced by "licensed" but far less experienced and uninformed individuals.