[BC] State licensing: Pro's and Con's

Mario Hieb, P.E. mario
Sat May 21 12:28:07 CDT 2005

Yes, there are negatives to state licensing, but there might be positives
too, such as:

1. Keep unqualified individuals out of the profession.
2. An increase in perceived status by employers/clients.
3. Employers/clients would have to hire licensed engineers.
4. If the engineer is asked to do something stupid or illegal, he/she can
say, "sorry, but I could lose my license if I did that."
5. Engineers would regulate their own profession.
6. Licensed professionals make more money than unlicensed ones.

I was a typical broadcast engineer (earning squat) for many years, and then
I got my P.E. license; a state license. Since then, I earn significantly
more money because I now do work that requires a license.

Mario

At 10:40 AM 5/21/2005, you wrote:

>Message: 6
>Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 03:30:54 -0400
>From: "Jerry Mathis" <thebeaver32 at hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: [BC] My SBE Suggestions
>To: broadcast at radiolists.net
>
> >From: Mario Hieb <reader at oldradio.com>
> >To: broadcast at radiolists.net
> >Subject: [BC] My SBE Suggestions
> >Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 14:25:12 -0700
> >
> >At 06:29 PM 5/18/2005, you wrote:
> >>I look forward to hearing more about these techniques in the form of
> >>positive, beneficial suggestions.
> >

> >Chris,
> >
> >You say you are interested, so here are my suggestions for SBE:
> >
> >1. REALLY embrace the concept of appropriate pay for engineers.
>
>Surely the experience of labor unions shows this does not work. When the
>price of Engineers gets raised artificially, they'll either 1) hire
>Engineers who aren't SBE members; 2) Reduce the number of Engineers on staff
>even further; or 3) Rely on factory tech support and purchase equipment less
>likely to need Engineers.
>
>NOT that I consider Engineers to be overpaid! But you can't artificially
>raise the worth of Engineering in each and every situation.
>
> >Communicate this with the membership.
> >2. Negotiate with the NFL to get the GDC's paid appropriately.
> >3. Set a minimum educational standard for membership.
> >4. Include a Canon of Ethics quiz on certification exams.
> >5. Form a Professionalism Committee.
> >6. Have an Ethics Consultant on retainer.
> >7. Study other professional organizations. Learn what makes them strong.
> >8. Form a Life and Safety Committee. It could be similar, or part of the
> >EAS committee. Focus on Life and Safety issues that affect the public, i.e.
> >RFR, lock-out/tag-out, lightning, structures, etc.
> >9. Explore state licensure for broadcast engineers.
>
>Puh-LEASE! Spare us all the requirement of proving to each and every state
>that we know how to do our jobs. Usually involves a "license" and a
>"Professional Services" fee. We need this like we need jumpered interlocks.
>
>I'm not an SBE member (yes, I should be) but this is one thing that would
>affect me even so.
>

>Jerry Mathis
>Clear Channel Radio, Tupelo & Meridian MS

Mario Hieb, P.E.
Consulting Engineer

36 H St. #2
Salt Lake City, UT 84103