[BC] State Licensing

Kent Winrich reader
Sat May 21 10:06:43 CDT 2005

DANA PUOPOLO wrote:

>Unfortuantely, over the past 20 years or so, virtually all managers in radio
>have come from sales. Good sales persons spend the least amount of time in a
>radio station because they're too busy on the street selling. Then they are
>promoted to manager, and expected to manage the very place where they've spent
>the least amount of their time. It's the Peter Principle in action!   By FAR
>the best managers I have worked for have come from programming, operations and
>yes even engineering.
>
>-D

Excellent post Dana!  You are so right about the sales person becoming the
manager.  You would think that an engineer or PD would make the best
manager as they are the ones dealing with budgets and day to day
activities.  But it is the sales person that has the interpersonal skills,
more often than the engineer folks.

Something to be said for schmoozing.