[BC] bronze vs silver

Richard Fry rfry
Sat May 21 07:41:08 CDT 2005

Clive Warner:
> Lightweight ribbon, in my experience, has always been common
> in RF circuits at HF (not MF) because the large surface area
> plus 'skin effect' gives low impedance.

Skin effect also is an important consideration at MW frequencies.  Most of
the RF current flowing in a copper conductor is confined to a depth with
respect to the OD of the conductor of about 0.09mm at 540kHz, and 0.05mm at
1,710kHz.

> Of course, for higher powers, you want to do a proper job, i.e. plating
> the
> mast base in 22 swg soft copper sheet.  My most common job would be
> silver soldering one-inch or wider, one-eighth copper strap, on to
> galvanised steel angle.

How exactly was that done?  Structural engineers and insurance companies
usually prohibit any kind of modification or process with respect to tower
members.

RF