[BC] Engineers and licensing

Kent kwinrich
Sat May 21 10:02:30 CDT 2005

Mario Hieb, P.E. wrote:

> For the most part, what you say is true...as of today.
>
> There are organizations that are working on eliminating the industrial
> exemption for engineers, so that you would need a license to be
> employed. It's hard to say if and when this would happen.
>
> Broadcast engineers are paid poorly (relative to other professions)
> because they have weak professional, political, and business skills.
> Also, many would rather complain than do something about it.
>
> Mario

Boy you nailed it Mario!

Many GMs do not know what we do, nor do they want the gory details.

Many engineers, from what I have seen, do not know how to communicate
with the rest of the world.  Many times eyes will glaze over with all of
the engineering gibberish.

IMHO one needs to find a way to convey the technical issue in a way that
they can understand.  That means staying away from words like
capacitance, ATUs, dB, impedance and the like, and use phrases that
demonstrates a benefit to them.