[BC] State Licensing

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Fri May 20 15:03:14 CDT 2005

On 20 May 2005 at 10:39, DANA PUOPOLO wrote:

> I would agree with most of this, except I believe that I believe we are paid
> on our PERCEIVED value! Since many (most?) managers couldn't buy a clue with a
> 100 dollar bill about what we do, we are perceived as a cost center, not a
> member of the team. As long as managers in top ten markets feel that they
> "can't justify the going rate for an engineer", things will not get better.

Dana,

I agree with you, but WHY is it that way, and if WE don't change it, who will?

It's true that some managers are hopeless, but many are not IF they are
educated to the facts.

I ran into a situation very recently where one of the problems in a tight DA
was high grass. The response I got was, "Oh, nobody ever explained grass
could cause a pattern problem." To which I replied, "Yes, it has water in it
and water conducts, you see." The response to that was, "Yes, and it will be
cut as soon as we can get someone out there, and every two weeks afterward
if that's what it needs."

It's lack of communication in understandable terms that causes the false
perceptions in many cases, IMHO.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037