[BC] Lightning and grounding - tower differences matter?

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Fri May 20 01:55:18 CDT 2005

On 19 May 2005 at 14:47, Alan Alsobrook wrote:

>  From what I understand about them, yes, Please remember I'm no expert..
> Or the AM would need a large static drain, and I don't know how much the
> static drain would effect the performance.
>
> Barry Mishkind wrote:
> >
> >         Alan,
> >         Are you saying that it is your understanding that
> >         this sort of prevention will work on an FM or
> >         grounded AM tower only, leaving insulated
> >         towers out of this part of the discussion?

Barry,

I concur with the second part of Alan's statement. I don't see why it
wouldn't work for a series fed tower PROVIDED the resistance/impedance
to ground from DC up to perhaps 50 kHz was quite low.

I'd speculate that series fed towers don't take direct strikes that
often because they build charge and let it go whenever the ball gap
flashes over.

It would be interesting to see if a CTS/ESE device reduces the frequency
of ball gap flashovers during an approaching storm front.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037