[BC] Lightning and grounding ... fun for all!

Barry Mishkind barry
Thu May 19 10:17:20 CDT 2005

At 04:26 AM 5/19/2005, Alan Alsobrook wrote
>I have experienced up close and personal what I consider the strike of the
>century. It destroyed all conventional protection. Would a dissipater have
>prevented it? we'll never know.  This strike hit 1 tower in a 3 tower DA
>array ...  hit the beacon and demolished it ... the tower 2" solid arm
>ball gaps were bent backward around the base of the tower ... 4 3-inch
>.032 copper straps feeding to the ground system were gone leaving only
>black stripes ...  in the phasor it open arced 22' across the room to a
>100 pr phone entry block ... exited the building to run under the street
>and blow a 5000 pr phone cable in half under the street.

         That must have been quite a light show.

         While Arizona is not Florida, we did have
         one stroke come in on a power line, run
         3/4 of a mile underground and vaporize the
         traces on the AC samples on a Power Rock's
         multimeter ... which then shut the unit down.......