[BC] Re: What the SBE should be .. and should not be

Scherer, Chriss CSCHERER
Wed May 18 16:50:04 CDT 2005

Mario:
This is a fine outlet to discuss issues. I did not see your post as a point of discussion, nor did others based on their responses. You made some claims about the SBE and its direction. I sought to clarify these claims.

The issues you note are your opinion. You are entitled to your opinion, and by all means, use this forum as a way to gain support. I only ask that if you have a concern with the SBE, take it to the SBE directly. Not every SBE member is on this list.

You list several points, which now form the basis of a discussion. As a discussion, I will comment on these items. These are my thoughts.

>1. SBE should be ONLY a professional organization.
It is, but it appears that your definition of a prfessional organization is limited to membership only. The NFL GDC is one component of the organization.

>[The] SBE should not be subsidizing the NFL.
It does not.

>2. SBE is too interested in tangential issues...the interests of the engineer differ
>from the interests of the client/employer. SBE should support only the engineer.
Again, the interests cross and mingle.

>3. SBE doesn't set high standards of professionalism. Professionals do not
>volunteer services to for-profit entities.
The volunteers themselves volunteer. The SBE forces no one to do it.

>4. SBE doesn't set minimum levels of education for engineers. All other
>professions require this.
Explain how this can be done.

>5. SBE doesn't live by their Code of Ethics. NFL GDC is an example of this.
The existing GDCs, board and many SBE members don't agree with you.

>6. SBE doesn't police their own membership.
Please explain this.

>7. SBE (to my knowledge) doesn't promote the protection of life and safety
>of the general public. Yes, there are life and safety issues in broadcast
>engineering.
Please explain the dangers that the SBE ignores.

>8. SBE doesn't ask the question: "Is this in the best, long-term interest
>of the profession?"
That question is raised at every meeting of every committee and the board of directors.

>You know that many engineers are frustrated with their lot in life.
>They are seen professionally as something slightly higher than a janitor.
>SBE could do so much to help this problem. All it would take would be to
>adopt a few techniques that have worked well for other professions and be
>the best example of high professional standards.

I look forward to hearing more about these techniques in the form of positive, beneficial suggestions.

Mario, it is likely that we will agree to disagree on some of this. I encourage a productive discussion on these points.

I will not be online for the next few days, so I will not be able to respond to anything posted here. I'm sure I'll find more to discuss when I return.

Chriss Scherer