[BC] More tower sites from above...

Richard Fry rfry
Wed May 18 14:25:34 CDT 2005

DANA PUOPOLO:
>I've always believed that non-sectionalized radiators over
> 180 degrees were to be avoided due to the high angle
> skywave lobes they generate.  Am I wrong here?

Non-sectional towers of around 195 electrical degrees generate a bit more
groundwave than 180 degree towers, but without adding much high-angle
radiation.  A 225 degree non-sectional has the highest groundwave gain, but
also a lobe of about 30% relative field centered on 60 degrees elevation.
The high-angle lobe is much smaller for non-sectionals of ~195 degrees, and
that is generally considered to be an optimal compromise between groundwave
gain and a self-interfering skylobe.

RF