[BC] Turned-off listeners (Was: ...Sirius-ly...")

Douglas B. Pritchett dpritchett1
Tue May 17 18:50:58 CDT 2005

Hi Willie!
Two words, debt service.
And another: investors.

My position at the local newspapers was eliminated because it (and others)
lowered the "customary" return on investment that Wall Street likes to see
from daily newspapers......35%. I always wondered how Wal-Mart and Kroger
can live on 2% profit, when newspapers have to have 35 - 40%.

Chances are the family owned station has been paid for for a generation.
With no gigantic debt service, they could afford to pay themselves
modestly, create and sustain jobs for their employees and operate a good
business. But when someone else buys them, there's a note to pay, and
investors to make happy. So, it's slash and burn. It's not just radio,
almost any industry has the same situation going on.

Douglas Pritchett
safe and secure in the Wireless business......yeah right! You wanna talk