[BC] The Worst transmitter of All Time

Fred Gleason fredg
Tue May 17 15:52:02 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 17 May 2005 16:08, RadioRan at aol.com wrote:
>     As I recall, it used four 6L6's to drive the grids  of P-P 833's, via
> LOTS of transformers.  Periodically, a B+  surge would course through the
> box and wipe out the coupling transformers,  which were really just jukebox
> output transformers.  Fortunately, the  station was a Daytimer, so I had
> all night to put it back together!

I had the 500W version of this (BC-500) on my first gig as an engineer as
well.  One 833 in the final instead of two, otherwise the same box.  Not a
bad unit reliability-wise, although when it got cold outside you sometimes
had to go out and thwack it on the side to get it going in the morning (this
was also on a daytimer, and the shack was unheated at the time).

You're right about the audio quality, though.  The foghorn of Elizabeth...

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development  |
|                           |             Salem Radio Labs                |
|      A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man       |
|      contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.      |
|                                     -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery         |