[BC] The Worst transmitter of All Time

RadioRan@aol.com RadioRan
Tue May 17 15:09:19 CDT 2005

Fun topic!  All I can really add to the  discussion is that the Gates BC-1J
was a REALLY mean thing trick to  pull on a guy just getting started in
Broadcast Engineering.  This rig had  the ability to pull a proof fine, yet sounded
awful.
    As I recall, it used four 6L6's to drive the grids  of P-P 833's, via
LOTS of transformers.  Periodically, a B+  surge would course through the box and
wipe out the coupling transformers,  which were really just jukebox output
transformers.  Fortunately, the  station was a Daytimer, so I had all night to
put it back together!
    Most other Gates Kilowatt boxes I have known were  OK; have a lot of
respect for the older RCAs.  The Raytheon  RA-1000 was my favorite; you could sit
inside to do the maintenance!
    Still under my care is a Continental 315-R or  828-E, which sometimes
surprises me with new tricks, in addition to being a  very effective
dust-collector.
    Thankfully, the Nautel's and BE's have taken most  of the drama out of
transmitter maintenance...
Cheers,
Randy Wells
KFGY KXFX KVRV KSRO