[BC] SBE Focus

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Tue May 17 12:01:49 CDT 2005

Mario is right on point here. I joined the SBE in 1974 as a student while
still in college. My membership number was 2868. I was an SBE member for 28
years. I quit for the exact reasons Mario states. As an example, at one point
I found myself unemployed and found the SBE's services (or lack thereof) to be
totally USELESS! The only things they offer are a resume database and the job
listings. The job listings are supposed to come out every Thursday. They
hardly ever do. Sometimes they don't come out for weeks at a time. But I'll
bet all the FCC coordination filings are all filed right on time!
SBE, get out of the "helping the stations' " business and BACK INTO the
"helping the MEMBERS' " business. Then you might get me back!

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: Mario Hieb <reader at oldradio.com>
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: [BC] SBE Focus

My beef (again) is that SBE is chartered as a professional organization
(with a responsibility to the membership) and not a
representative/lobbyist/activist/apologist of the broadcast licensee, the
NFL, NAB, etc.

These organizations can afford high-priced attorneys, lobbyists and
consultants to look out for their interests. SBE should focus exclusively
on the needs of the individual engineer, and there are many.

SBE's focus should be on three things:

1. SBE members.
2. SBE members.
3. SBE members.

After this, the focus should be on:

4. Professional development of SBE members.
5. Engineering education.
6. Salary issues.
7. Professional ethics.
8. Safety, life and property issues.

Yeah, it's cool to hang out with the big boys, but they don't pay the dues
and many SBE members are getting perturbed.

Mario

-