[BC] SBE: What matters?

Paul Christensen attorney
Tue May 17 11:59:04 CDT 2005

> Does the American Bar Association weigh in on every piece of legislation
> throughout the U.S.? No, that is what lobbyists get paid to do.
> SBE needs to see the subtle distinction between what affects the engineer,
> and what affects the engineers client/employer, and focus on the former.

But the ABA does weigh-in on issues that directly and indirectly affect its
members -- like the SBE.  Moreover, I see a similar analogy in that the
focus for both organizations is on issues directly affecting its members,
and to your point,  indirectly on issues that touch it's members (clients,
station owners, public policy, etc.)  There is a significant difference
between filing periodic petitions and responses to rulemakings and
contracting with a lobbyist to attain 24/7 visibility on issues with law
makers.

-Paul  (SBE and ABA member)

Paul Christensen, CPBE
LAW OFFICE OF PAUL B. CHRISTENSEN, P.A.
3749 Southern Hills,  Jacksonville, Florida 32225
Office: (904) 379-7802   Facsimile: (904) 212-0050
pchristensen at ieee.org