[BC] Worst Transmitter

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Tue May 17 11:11:08 CDT 2005

I had a 10 kW ITA in Pittsburgh. What a POS! Fortuantely, it was an aux.
Unfortunately, the main was a CCA 20 kW.

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: DHultsman5 at aol.com
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: [BC] Worst Transmitter

Subject: Re: [BC] The Worst Transmitter of All Time
To: _broadcast at radiolists.net_ (mailto:broadcast at radiolists.net)

I guess I would have to say I think the worst FM transmitter I ever  operated

or worked on was the ITA  FM5000,  FM7500 and FM10,000.   Parasatic PA stages

no variable neutralization you added or removed screen  bypasses.  No
variable loading control on PA stage of the 5 K & 7.5K  models.  Inductive
slider
tuning with multiple right angle drives and  splines. Hi currents on the
tuning
sliders routinely overheated.  Mercury  vapor power supply filament
transformers constantly going to ground losing power  supply,  Replacing with
solid state
rectifiers solved most of these  problems with PS, thanks for help from Bill
Johnson with Wilkinson  Electronics.  I think the most reliable AM transmitter

i ever had as a CE  was the Raytheon RA-1000.  I don't believe I ever had a
failure on that  unit used only at night.

Dave