[BC] XM v Sirius

Fred Gleason fredg
Tue May 17 10:38:59 CDT 2005

On Monday 16 May 2005 20:25, Phil Alexander wrote:
> Kenwood has a swappable "tuner" a/k/a front end. Plug XM out plug Sirius or
> IBOC in. The big difference is the IBOC front end costs $300 while the sat
> flavor is $60.

I strongly suspect that this is largely an artifact of manufacturing volume.
If/when IBOC finally takes off, I would expect the cost of all three to
become roughly the same.  We've seen this same curve many times already (CD,
DVD, etc).

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development  |
|                           |             Salem Radio Labs                |
|             Logic is a way to go wrong with confidence.                 |
|                                   --Robert Heinlein                     |
|                                   "The Notebooks of Lazarus Long"       |