[BC] AM skywave

Scott Cason scason
Mon May 16 21:33:41 CDT 2005

>>Instead of finding ways to take advantage of night time reception via
skywave, the FCC and the broadcast industry went the
opposite direction.

The point I was trying to make by bringing up Docket 80-90, is that there
are not very many places, of any, that do not have some type of aural
service, mostly FM.  But, your point is valid, also.  Putting more stations
on a clear channel frequency, even if they are directional, raises the
overall noise floor and degrades the skywave coverage of the dominate
station.  The only clear channel station I really care about listening to
anymore is WSB in Atlanta.  And now that Clear Channel down there has stolen
the Braves away from WSB (again), I really don't have much use for listening
now, unless I want to tune into the news at the top of the hour.

>>I wonder if there would not be more such people if the FCC and the
broadcast industry looked for
ways to use this under-utilized natural resource - namely nighttime skywave
reception.

I don't think so, in the fact that people have gotten used to listening to
the "noise" free FM.  I once had a girl I was seeing tell me, upon getting
in the car and I had WLW on the radio, that she didn't ever want to hear
that again.  The static got on her nerves (we were 25 miles from the Mason
transmitter site, she lived in northern Kentucky).  Even that little bit of
static bothered her, and I'm sure there are more people like that.  I think
night time skywave listening has just us hard core DXers that listen
anymore.

Scott Cason