[BC] anti-fading radiators

Richard Fry rfry
Mon May 16 08:45:50 CDT 2005

Clive Warner:
>The extra 2dB is not 'free' power, it comes from reduction of the skywave.
>I believe the overall effect (benefit) is to improve the 200mV/m groundwave
>contour, at the expense of the (fading prone, due to sky/groundwave mixing)
>intermediate zone where groundwave does not, in any case, provide a usable
>service.

True for distances where the skywave and groundwave fields have roughly the
same magnitude.  The distance to that zone is a function of the
conductivity/clutter/terrain profile of the groundwave path, vertical plane
ERP, and the nature of the ionosphere.

But the discussion here was about parts of Pittsburgh losing KDKA's signal,
and about their weak signal in the South Hills area.  The distance from
KDKA's tower to the Pittsburgh Triangle is about 8-1/4 miles, and to the
South Hills about 15.  The amount of skywave landing that close to the tx
site will be extremely small.  Those distances are served by the groundwave,
only, for all practical purposes.

>At the same time, the skywave radiation angle is lowered, resulting
>in a usable strong skywave signal at a greater distance than you would
>get from a simple quarter-wave.

Perhaps surprisingly, a 1/4-wave vertical has more relative field at all
elevation angles between zero and 90 degrees than verticals of all greater
heights to 5/8-wave.  The advantage of the higher (longer) radiators is in
the shape of their elevation patterns, which at lower elevation angles have
higher _absolute_ gains than the 1/4-wave.*   For a given tx power, this
increases the groundwave, favors longer skip paths, and reduces the land
area where the skywave and groundwave can mutually interfere.

  * except for heights of, and close to 5/8-wave, where the absolute gain
    exceeds that of a 1/4-wave radiator from roughly 60 to 80 degrees
elevation.

RF