[BC] Re: worst of all

clive@citiria.com clive
Mon May 16 08:20:05 CDT 2005

In my experience, the Marconi 10KW AM single tube class AB1.
It was about 25% efficient.
It had a fibreglass compartment divider with HV/RF components mounted on it.
That transmitter taught me one important fact: Do NOT use fibreglass in high
voltage applications. The 'free' oxidizing agent left over in the laminate, plus
it's high carbon content, leads to tracking and arcing and rapid destruction!
I usually had to resort to cutting out the offending area and replacing it, often
with the bottom of a plastic bucket or other suitable local materials.
Clive