[BC] Class A Miscues - Was: KDKA

PeterH5322@aol.com PeterH5322
Sat May 14 19:14:13 CDT 2005

>Poor Conductivity in this part of the world? Tell me about it.  We
>measured .5 over some paths getting our 630 into St. Marys WV--just about
>100 miles SW of Pittsburgh.

WLS wisely (perhaps over a half-century ago) sited its Tx in an area of
relatively higher conductivity which, according to M3, extends from the
SW Chicago suburbs all the way through Illinois to St. Louis, Missouri.
Well, perhaps East St. Louis, Illinois.

The other Chicago Class I-As sited themselves west of the city, and
closer to its center, but in an area of realtively lower ground
conductivity.

Now, WSL has palpably excellent suburban and rural primary service (it
always had excellent secondary service to the West Coast, IMO), whereas
the other Chicago Class I-As have better urban primary service, but
palpably poorer suburban and rural primary service (these had poor
secondary service to the West Coast, IMO).

Combining sites is economically interesting, but a possible disaster,
should, say, a higher frequency Class A diplex with a co-owned lower
frequency Class A, as "ratcheting" could very well apply.

In one case I am familiar with, this ratcheting could result in the
higher-frequency Class A having to reduce power to, say, around 35 kW, if
such diplexing were to be implemented.