[BC] voices

Clive Warner clive
Sat May 14 10:04:07 CDT 2005

>The real
>difference in symmetry was in human voices.  I was impressed at one lady
whose
>voice was 10 to 15% higher on the positive peaks.

It is surprising what waveforms you see on voice. On Masirah we would
broadcast the Koran every day on the Arabic service which was mainly aimed
at Saudi Arabia (and very popular there, as I personally verified later on).
Quite often I would see perfect sine wave modulation at 100% while the
Mullah was singing the opening verses, and held at such an accurate pitch
that the waveform would be steady and not 'drift' across the scope.
This of course was the time that the big transmitters would be likely to
trip.
And on one day, during one of those long 100% modulated notes, it did indeed
blow up one of the monster high-pressure capacitors (an 8 hour repair job)
and I remarked without thinking, 'Oh, it's the bloody Koran again, blown the
final' at which point the Pakistani technicians walked out because I had
insulted the Holy Book.
- Clive