[BC] KDKA

Chuck Leavens chuck
Fri May 13 23:04:39 CDT 2005

>At 06:44 PM 5/13/2005, Chuck Leavens wrote
>>You are right. I forgot they took down the Franklin about 5 years
>>ago and put this one up. Neither antenna has performed well for
>>them.
>
>         Chuck,
>
>         any idea why neither tower "performed well?"

I recall a conversation with Don Everist a few years ago when we were
doing some work here and he was puzzled by the whole thing too.
Looking back carefully the old tower was not technically a Franklin
either by the strict definition and I was surprised they stayed with
the design because it did not perform well here in any case. Parts of
Pittsburgh lose the signal and the south hills are not a strong
signal area for them either. Go figure. A daytimer in town on 1080
with 50Kw and just a traditional shunt fed tower always seemed to
outperform them. That station has since changed facility.

They were obviously confident enough with the design to put another
one up with a different feed height. the new one goes in at 1/4 wave
I think on a 3/4 wave stick.  I am not expert on this site but just
find the whole thing fascinating.

So I don't have an answer as to why but have the same question you're
asking myself. I have heard some say the design just does not work.
That's hard to believe with the amount of field you can generate. The
close in self fading seems hard to get one's hands around
objectively. Sometimes it just seems to be the way of the wind.

--
Thanks,

Chuck Leavens
Director of Engineering and I.T.