[BC] Should Skywave Listening protection continue?

Scott Fybush scott
Fri May 13 17:30:26 CDT 2005

At 06:12 PM 5/13/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>------ At 05:50 PM 5/13/2005, DANA PUOPOLO wrote: -------
>
>>I am quite certain that WBZ makes substantially more money then
>>KDKA.
>
>In Western MA I can receive both WINS, New York and WBZ, Boston.
>Strangely, the WINS signal is much stronger. With WINS at 1010, KDKA at
>1020 and WBZ at 1030 it would seem that KDKA gets the short end of the
>stick getting blotted out by their brethren - also risking doing damage to
>two more profitable stations within the company. Only WBZ is on the
>iBiquity list of stations on or pending.

The issue of KDKA vs. WINS and WBZ is nothing new. In the deliberations
about increasing clear channel power to 750 kW or more in the fifties and
sixties, there was concern expressed about the potential for interference
between KDKA and WBZ as a result. Even then, Westinghouse conceded that it
might not be able to increase both to 750 kW, and that WBZ would likely get
the nod before KDKA.

I'm not at all surprised that the WINS signal is stronger than WBZ in
western MA - the WINS signal is all skywave for you, while you're right in
the zone where WBZ's skywave and groundwave phase against each other. Gee,
maybe they should stick a 1 kW synchro in East Springfield to fix that... :-)