[BC] SBE

Barry Mishkind barry
Thu May 12 18:29:51 CDT 2005

At 04:11 PM 5/12/2005, Mike McCarthy wrote
>The criteria for notification as I recall is all licensees withn 150
>miles in all directions and a key hole arc +/- 5 deg. either side of
>the path azimuth out to 250 miles.  This is regardless of the other
>station's path azimuth, power height, or any other technical parameter.

         I did not realize it was done in such a
         stupid over blown fashion (I haven't
         had to file one of these since before,
         and the info I asked for ... from SBE
         ... is still in transit).

>I concur that requirement is excessive and we (SBE) tried to get the
>FCC to reduce the requirements.  But they said no.  Seems the
>commerical coordinators had their fix in...

         Now, if the NAB has the muscle to get
         congress to order the FCC to delete
         licenses for engineers, LPFM, and
         any requirement for news and
         public affairs ... how is it that what
         is called the most powerful lobby
         on the Hill (ok, let's assume top 3)
         can't have resolved this without
         the expense and silliness we see?

         Can anyone tell us what happened
         here?  It can't be the commercial
         coordinators had more pull than the
         NAB.....  That I will not believe.

Barry Mishkind     -       Tucson, AZ    -   520-296-3797