[BC] Re: Lightning & Static Discharges

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Thu May 12 07:08:38 CDT 2005

In a message dated 5/12/05 12:05:28 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

never  saw static discharges anywhere near as
spectacular or detrimental to clean  underwear.

******************************

I can see how it could apply to underwear.   I recall a strike in  Dallas
Texas on a tower 599 ft.  It was a cloudy day, very hot and  dry.  We had thunder
and several local hits.  Our studio were about a  mile from our FM tower.  I
walked out the back door and noted an unusual  sky very dusty and dry but no
wind.  I looked at the tower and the lights  were on.     About the second I
turned my head there was a  tremendous flash and an immediate loud crack. It was
loud enough that I thought  I had been shot at and hit the ground. I looked
at the tower to and the was  smoke around the tower top and a brown jagged
trail going up from the top. A  little composure and the DJ told me the FM was
off. I got in my car and drove to  the site which had a two way shop located at
the base.  The FM  had shut down. One of the two way guys came in with a half
of one  of the ERI Type 300 vertical dipoles which was charred and had melted
copper and  brass on it.  It had fallen on the hood of his car.  (Our insurance
 paid for a new hood)  The transmitter came back up but no line pressure.
Visual inspection showed the top bay of the vertical antenna was missing half
the dipole.  The smell of ozone was prevalent in the air.

Dave