[BC] Supermodulation

Dave Hultsman reader
Wed May 11 15:41:19 CDT 2005

In a message dated 5/11/05 12:01:32 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:
In the late 60's Gates made a "special" version of the BC-5P2
with the 10 kW modulator section of a BC-10P in it. Anyone want
to guess why? <ggg>

Phil Alexander, CSRE

**********************

My guess was it was the only way to do the "Super Modulation" people
wanted.  They installed a separate power supply for the
modulator...  Collins also had a "Hot Rod Kit" 125% modulation transformer
for their 820-E/F  5-10kW. Models.  The Bauer of the day with its 12 Phase
Power supply had overated its power and modulation transformers and would
usually get well over 100%. RCA's after the BC5H  were the pits on positive
modulation until the 5L.
THe FCC imposed the limits of 125% probably because some manufacturers
began advertising 150% positive modulation.  In some receivers the audible
distortion increased with heavy positive modulation.

Many of the older plate modulated rigs of that period would not take the
heavy modulation. I had and old Western Electric 5 Kw. that we had a tube
type negative peak clipper using a 6H6 and it  did well at the pin on
positives on both the old G,R. Mod monitor and the "O" Scope.  No
modulation transformer involved in the transmitter.  One of my buddies
installed a new limiter on his Class B plated modulated rig and blew his
modulation transformer twice finally got and oil filled version that would
take the peaks.

Dave