[BC] sat radio dead spots

Mark Humphrey mark3xy
Wed May 11 14:30:05 CDT 2005

Scott,

I wonder how many terrestrial repeaters XM still uses in the Louisville market.  Originally, they had over 40 here in the Philadelphia metro  -- I leased them tower space for one around 1998-99, but less than two years later, they decided to shut it down.  This was shortly after the FCC ruled that satellite broadcasters couldn't provide local content on the repeater that is different from the bird.  Their repeaters in center city are still active and obviously necessary to provide service in the "concrete canyons".

Does anyone know if there's a "back door" to the XM receivers that would open a diagnostic screen and reveal the source of the signal or other codes related to BER, signal strength, etc?

Mark

Scott Cason <scott.cason at insightbb.com> wrote:
>>but those overpasses and bridges dont extend for MILES like some of
the dead 'spots' for satellite radio coverage.

I have had XM since last December. The number of dead "spots" I have
encountered, I can count on one toe (the little one). Bridges and
overpasses? With the six second buffer, it never sees them unless I'm
stopped at a traffic signal and I just happen to be under a bridge. It's no
different that driving under a high tension power line, and listening to the
noise it creates for about 6 seconds on the AM band. Or the damage the
Kennedy bridge between Louisville and Indiana does to the FMs here in town.