[BC] sat radio dead spots

Scott Cason scott.cason
Wed May 11 14:16:28 CDT 2005

>>but those overpasses and bridges dont extend for MILES like some of
the dead 'spots' for satellite radio coverage.

I have had XM since last December.  The number of dead "spots" I have
encountered, I can count on one toe (the little one).  Bridges and
overpasses?  With the six second buffer, it never sees them unless I'm
stopped at a traffic signal and I just happen to be under a bridge.  It's no
different that driving under a high tension power line, and listening to the
noise it creates for about 6 seconds on the AM band.   Or the damage the
Kennedy bridge between Louisville and Indiana does to the FMs here in town.

There are disadvantages to any medium you choose to broadcast with.  It
boils down to whether the listener can tolerate the momentary outages.  Out
of six months of satellite radio, I have lost about 5 minutes of listening
time.  That's tolerable considering that XM hasn't got the crap processed
out of it like most FM's or hasn't got the audio choked back to 5kc like
most of the Clear Channel stations do now.  Checking in with Rush and Boortz
every once in a while is the only off air radio I listen to anymore.  I have
listened to no FM radio since I bought my XM receiver.

Scott Cason

LaGrange Communications, LLC
502-213-0024