[BC] Lightning Prevention?????

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Wed May 11 07:36:30 CDT 2005

In a message dated 05/11/2005 01:54:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
georgenicholas at compuserve.com writes:

> I was
>  introduced to the Lightning Master by my tower crew.  It was also a leap of
>  faith by the GM to buy a story about this stuff, that, from a distance,
>  looks like Christmas garland.  That was in early 1990 and I don't recall a
>  burn since then.  Sounds like a commercial for Lightning Master, but I have
>  used ERI and seen Static Cats an others work very well too.

If you have a Van DeGraaf generator, you can easily prove the operation of
this "porcupine" technology...

Bring a blunt object near the charged sphere. When the voltage builds
sufficiently, it will arc. (Miniature lightning.) If you hold the object there, it
will repeatedly arc, as the voltage builds then arcs again in a continuing
cycle. Now, bring a POINTED object close to the charged sphere. No arcs! You can
bring the pointy object closer and closer... still no arcs! If you turn off the
lights, though, you will see Corona Discharge... a faint purple glow, with
slightly brighter "streaks" emenating from the point.

This is how these "porcupines" work on the towers. Because they have *many*
points, they provide many paths for the electricity to discharge via the Corona
Effect, thus dissipating the charge before it builds up enough to arc.
(Lightning.) Thus, it *prevents* lightning from striking. The only way for this not
to work, is if the charge builds up too rapidly for the points to dissipate it
in time, and it is very strong. Then, *BOOM*!!! Ouch. Normally, though, the
discharge rate is sufficient to keep that from happening.

So, park those "porcupines" on your towers with confidence. :) IMHO, there is
sufficient evidence to show that they do, indeed, help significantly. Surge
protection & good grounding should never be skimped upon, though.

Willie...