[BC] Lightning Prevention?????

Alan Alsobrook radiotech
Tue May 10 22:40:47 CDT 2005

Hi Bruce,
I'm not sure reopening this can of worms is a good idea, this one was
almost as bad as religion or politics, but what the heck I'll throw in
my $.02.

My first opinion is that the established lightning protection community
is going to tend to stay with known technologies until the newer
technologies are excessively proven.

If the theory that the manufactures of the new equipment provide is
correct, and I do think it has merit, then it will be very difficult to
prove that the system works. The only real way to evaluate it would be
to set up two identical test facilities and a separated but close
proximity and count the strikes to each over several years.

To many lightning protection has always been black magic. Even in the
traditional community you will hear different experts strongly
disagreeing on the method of protection to employ.

I don't see how installing one of the newer systems could hurt you,
since it employs many of the old system designs with a few new twists
(or points as the case my be) It still relies on a very solid ground
path and sound grounding techniques.

I've observed several facilities that were getting sever lightning
damage annually, who installed one of the various new system and their
damage has been greatly reduced. So did the lightning just quit hitting,
or did the systems work? It's very difficult to prove one way or the
other. If you travel through Florida you'll see that the newer weigh
stations have the umbrella type dissipater's installed, the Bridge of
Lions in St. Augustine has bottle brushes all over it. So someone (at
least at FDOT) is giving the new technologies some serious consideration.

The older conventional systems work also, as to proving if one works
better than the other it is going to take many years and the debate will
probably still rage on.

--
Alan Alsobrook CSRE CBNT
St. Augustine Fl. 32086 904-829-8885