[BC] BC] Some Input Needed Re: CBS 400, Mosely TFL-280

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Tue May 10 19:33:03 CDT 2005

If I recall that Gates rig also had two power supplies - one for RF and one
for the modulator.

That sucker was LOUD! I remember that top 40 WPRO in Providence, RI had one
for it main transmitter. Their 5 kW non d signal at 630 used to be louder in
the Boston suburbs than most of the Boston stations.

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: "Phil Alexander" <dynotherm at earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [BC] BC] Some Input Needed Re: CBS 400, Mosely TFL-280

On 10 May 2005 at 12:16, Scott Bailey wrote:

> Bear in mind, those boxes were built before the early 80?s
> term ?Super Modulation? came about.  This is were the Commission
> made it legal for AM?s to do 125% positive modulation.

Just for the sake of accuracy, the FCC didn't start "allowing" it.
What they did was make a rule to put on a limit because many had
been hitting 150-175% positive since the late 60's. Previously,
there was no rule that prevented anything except exceeding -100%
negative modulation and required at least 80 or 85% (can't recall
which) positive.

In the late 60's Gates made a "special" version of the BC-5P2
with the 10 kW modulator section of a BC-10P in it. Anyone want
to guess why? <ggg>

Phil Alexander, CSRE
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037