[BC] Lightning Prevention?????

Bruce Doerle bdoerle
Tue May 10 19:06:50 CDT 2005

Fellow broadcasters,

Last week there was a brief debate on the merits of Charge Dissipation Devices (ie lightning prevention or avoidance systems).  The debate started in response to a message from Mr. Dana Whitehair of KUT, University of Texas.  Mr. Whitehair's message, mine, and others are shown below this initial paragraph grouping.

Of course, this raised some hairs on the manufacturer's of these products and number of messages took place in public and behind the scenes.  The end product of these messages attacked me and eluded to testimonials as evidence that their products work.  Most engineers and scientist know that CTS and ESE products do not work; they have not been endorsed by any professional scientific, regulatory, or standards body.  The manufacturers offer no scientific proof of their theories and claim their products performance by using testimonials as evidence that the product works.  However, there is a significant fault in this logic.  The testimonials are from unknowing persons who lack the knowledge to understand this questionable, unproven technology.

My issue in this message is to open a debate on the merits of CTS (protection / avoidance) technology.  Lightning is an issue that most broadcast must deal with and how you deal with it will determine the safety and reliability issues of your broadcast site.  I do not believe that the claims made by CTS vendors is clearly understood in our broadcast community, and I would like to open this issue up for discussion.  I invite all interest parties to participate.  I encourage you to read the messages below to understand with who you are dealing.

Regards,

Bruce

>>> whiteshark at mail.utexas.edu 05/03/05 11:39 AM >>>

Greetings once again from Austin!

Did somebody say "lightning?"

Anyone have any experience or insight - or both -regarding current
lightning "dissipation" systems vs. lightning "avoidance" systems?

The "crown of thorns" that once adorned our tower has lost a serious
number of its thorns. I've been looking at replacing it, but have
been contacted by Lightning Experts, Inc. about installing their
"avoidance"-based system instead of the old dissipation system.

Any opinions? Experience? Ranting? Raving?

Thanks in advance, y'all!

DEW
--
Dana E. Whitehair
Manager of Technical Services

my response:

Dana,

Avoidance or charge dissapation devices do not work.  There is a lot of untruths and false claims on these products.  The key is they are not approved by professional body although they approved by UL for workmanship only.   Go to this website to learn why:

http://www.lightningsafety.com/index.html

I can provide you more websites to educate you these devices.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Doerle
Director of Engineering
WUCF-FM
Jazz & More 89.9
Orlando, Florida

>>> "Lightning Experts" <LRD at lightningexperts.com> 05/04/05 3:26 PM >>>

Dear Bruce,

This was not met for a rebuttal, as you put it. I am sorry you think this way, and also that you think we lack the knowledge, you are very sad.   May be, TV stations should try to hire an engineer with out a resume!!!!!!  GET IT.....Take care and get a life.....