[BC] BC] Some Input Needed Re: CBS 400, Mosely TFL-280

Robert Meuser robertm
Tue May 10 11:46:25 CDT 2005

Scott:

 the Volumax did have an asymmetry control. It was a switch and as I recall the max you
could get out of the unit was 300% positive. If my memory is faulty there I know it was
way over 125%. Later models may have had just a 100% and a 125% position. I would trace
the bias lines to the encapsulated clipper module. The control should be easily found.

As for supermod, etc. You sort of have things backwards. Before the late 70s, there was
no rule pertaining to supermod. The only rule was not to exceed 100% negative mod, there
was no positive limit. People had homebrew positive clippers on air back well into at
least the 60s. Problem was not too many TXs could do much positive. I worked at one
station that was running 500 W with a 20V-3 cut back. We did some positives. The problem
came when the BC-5 HA hit the market in a stealthy way. This was essentially one box with
a 5 KW RF section and another box with a full 10 KW modulator. The few stations that put
these on the air were in large markets and raised havoc with the 50K stations there. This
was a time when there were still a lot of plate mod TXs running as mains. Once the arms
race started heating up with new 317Cs and MW 50s going into service, the FCC was
pressured into establish a cap. They REDUCED the limit from none to 125%..