[BC] Another Shoe drops

Lamar Owen lowen
Tue May 10 09:51:07 CDT 2005

On Friday 06 May 2005 14:50, padrino wrote:
> Tom Bosscher quoted Steve Vestergaard as saying:
> >The files are transmitted using Og Vorbis, but at an extremely high
> >bitrate (starting at 750 and scaling up as high as needed).  The result
> >is effectively lossless compression (it is lossy, but the losses are out
> >of the range of hearing).

Ok, that's cool.  Vorbis at that bitrate is extremely high quality.  I mean,
we're talking 750K? That's actually higher than the designed bitrate for
Vorbis; 128K per channel is standard.  Hmmm, wait a minute:

Why not flac?  That means it's Yet Another Codec for them to support.  The
combination of Ogg and Vorbis (they are two different things) is becoming
very attractive for manufacturers who don't want to pay MP3 royalties, and
yet want a fairly standard transport container (Ogg) and codec (Vorbis).

This also lets them scale to video at some point in time; Ogg Theora is quite
good at this point.

However, Ogg Flac is a supported combination by the Ogg container (designed
from the ground up to be codec-agnostic).
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology