[BC] LPFM on Xlators

Paul Smith W4KNX paul
Mon May 9 16:06:51 CDT 2005

What I want to see on LPFM is anything LOCALLY done.  Whether you put kids
on the air playing their favorite music and taking requests and having a
good time, to running a local town meeting, to absolutely anything done
locally and legally.  Forget the canned religion, downloaded from a bird.
Turn the damn thing off if thats all its going to be.  Local live church
services are just fine and meet the term of LOCAL programming.  Who cares if
it doesnt get any ratings.  Take up a collection to pay for the operation.
Its supposed to be a shoe string operation.  I'm really disappointed to see
what has happened to LPFM.  In many cases they are thinly veiled satelators.

Paul Smith
Sarasota, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net]On Behalf Of Rich Wood
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 4:54 PM
To: Broadcast Radio Mailing List
Subject: Re: [BC] LPFM on Xlators

------ At 02:54 PM 5/9/2005, WFIFeng at aol.com wrote: -------

>What would you rather have on the air, a format that appeals to the "soccer
>moms" and "little old ladies" or one that appeals to (and reinforces the
>behavior of) gangs & thugs?

Since I've seen the "do-gooders" concept of entertainment you're asking me
to make a very difficult decision: Touched by an Angel or Boyz in the Hood.
I'm afraid the Boyz are winning.

>Those religious nutjobs who literally preach "hate" would *not* appeal to
the
>"do-gooders", as you called them, they would appeal to useless thugs like
the
>KKK, etc.

I'm not so sure. The religious nutjobs (Dobson, Robertson, Falwell,
Swaggart, Hin, et al) seem to raise an awful lot of money and the KKK
claims to be doing the work of the Lord. Not being a theologian I can't
dispute their claims that they have regular chats with Him and He tells
them what to do. I know it's not a conference call because they all preach
something different.

Rich