[BC] Your site in view - Radio Town USA Chicago

Paul Smith W4KNX paul
Mon May 9 11:53:58 CDT 2005

Then maybe I was looking at the wrong towers.  Sorry if I made an error. but
the approach shows two towers one 2900 MSL and the other around 3325 MSL
quite close to each other.  That could be the Sears tower and Hancock bldg
downtown. There appears to be nothing west of the airport causing a higher
MSA.  Maybe the other towers are taller.  After another look, I see the two
towers around 1400 to 1450 MSL.  It looks almost colocated with the ILS
outer marker beacon.  Still not high enough to cause a problem with an
instrument approach.  Not like KFI in LA where the tower was almost in the
VFR pattern.

Here is a PDF of the O'Hare Instrument approach.  The upside down V symbols
are towers with MSL altitude next to them.
http://download.aopa.org/iap/20050414/EC-3/ord_ils_rwy_09l.pdf

Paul Smith
Sarasota, FL