[BC] Interesting Phenomena With WWDB 860

Mark Humphrey mark3xy
Sun May 8 19:52:47 CDT 2005

Tom,

I've also noticed that WWDB's 4-inline array produces
a lot of distortion in the nulls.   Along the PA
Turnpike between the Downingtown and Valley Forge
exits, and along 202 between Exton and King of
Prussia, there are spots where the audio sounds so
"overmodulated" as to be unbearable.

Were you aware that WPEN 950 is in the process of
modifying the 860 site so it can be shared?  However,
this will not be a "diplexed" arrangement.  As a
daytimer, WWDB has no need for the towers at night, so
WPEN's independent phasing system will be switched in
between sunset and sunrise.  This will allow a
nighttime power increase to 21 kW and greatly improved
coverage in the western suburbs.  The CP was granted a
few weeks ago and I expect they will have it operating
before summer.

Perhaps WWDB might be planning to tweak their phasor
as part of this project, in an effort to clean up the
nulls -- but I'm not sure.

Mark