[BC] Interesting Phenomena With WWDB 860

Tom misc01
Sun May 8 19:10:35 CDT 2005

With the station in Baltimore on 860 off the air it was
interesting listening to WWDB this afternoon.  At first I
thought it was a spurious emission from another station.
Then I thought it was WWDB in a selective fade.  However, I
think it was just the way that WWDB was being received here.

When I was tuned right on 860 there was almost no signal and
the audio was muffled.  As I tuned off to either side the
audio got louder but it was distorted.  Could this be due to
a very sharp phasing system whereby the null of the signal
was less at perhaps 858 and 862 kHz than at 860 kHz thus
letting audio above maybe two kHz through more than the low
frequencies of the audio?

I've heard that sometimes when driving through the null of a
directional pattern the audio of a station can be distorted
but I thought that happened only with in a few miles or so of
the station.  I am almost a hundred miles from Philadelphia.

That might explain why when WWDB had IBOC on for a short time
the IBOC racket was rather loud while WWDB audio was way
under the Baltimore station.

Tom Dimeo

Harrisburg Pennsylvania