[BC] iBiquity was Digital Radio Express

Robert Meuser Robertm
Sun May 8 14:20:26 CDT 2005

Ernie Belanger wrote:

> Rich, it is already happening.
>
> First it will never be a mandated technology in that iBiquity's(IB's)
> puppets ,on advice I am sure from (IB's legal beagles)are being very
> clever in how they are approaching the FCC. IB's millions spent on
> Lawyers has made sure they found a loop hole.
>
> FCC will be and is being approached, by some of the big lambs like CPB
> and Clear Channel, to adopt this as, a non-mandatory standard. By doing
> it this way the standard goes on the books as The Digital Standard in
> the US but stations are not made to adopt it. It will remain as a
> voluntary US standard, like FM Stereo is (stations are not forced to
> broadcast in stereo but if they do they must conform to the US FM Stereo
> Standard.

Ernie:

While I will not comment one way or another on your speculation regarding the
future of digital broadcasting, FCC 73.322 very specifically does not force a
standard for FM stereo broadcasting. It does protect the 19 kHz pilot and
mandates specific parameters IF that pilot is used. One could easily take a
portion of a DRE bit stream and use it for L-R in conjunction with an analog
mono L+R. Could probably be done with less than 24 kbps IF someone built a receiver.

The very same FCC takes a completely different approach to AM stereo in 73.128
where AM stereo transmission is very specifically defined.