[BC] Digital Radio Express

Jeff Johnson jjohnson
Fri May 6 15:36:39 CDT 2005

>         Glenn, for regular high level combining, you need to increase
> your analog TPO by 10%. Your Ibiquity tx will run 10% of your new tpo.
> That signal will be knocked down by 10 db on the combiner.
>
>         If your tower can handle it, if you have an omni pattern, a
> separate antenna is very nice. With a typical Class B running 50 KW
> erp,  putting up a single bay (gain of .95), and moderate feedline
> losses, you can now keep you analog tx the same, and only run about 700
> watts or so on the digital TX.
>
>         tom bosscher

A most informative article is in the current Radio World Engineering Extra
by Henry Downs of Dielectric. It concerns their new 'Dibrid' IBOC combiner.
According to the charts, no analog RF is lost and 80% of digital is rejected.

Did anyone encounter this at NAB? It is a variation of the 'mid-level' or
'split-level' method.

I wrote an article for Radio Guide this past December entitled "Six Ways to
Tomorrow" outlining the various methods of implementing IBOC transmission.

Jeff.Johnson at goodnews.net
WVXU/Cincinnati/X-Star Radio Network