[BC] Another Shoe drops

Fred Gleason fredg
Fri May 6 12:42:14 CDT 2005

On Friday 06 May 2005 14:01,  Steve Vestergaard wrote:
> The files are transmitted using Og Vorbis, but at an extremely high
> bitrate (starting at 750 and scaling up as high as needed).  The result
> is effectively lossless compression (it is lossy, but the losses are out
> of the range of hearing).

AAhhh!  Dumb attack!  Dumb, Dumb!! DUMB!!!

'750' what, exactly?  'Scaling up as high as needed' to accomplish what,
exactly?  How do you quantify what is 'effectively lossless'?  This guy
should be writing radio infomercials.  It's consumer mush.  Grrrr.

It's not that I dislike OggVorbis (I don't.  In fact, it's a darn elegant
piece of work), but it *is* lossy, and as such it has no place so close to
the top of the distribution chain.  The irony is, if they wanted a free codec
that is truly lossless, there *is* one!  See:

	http://flac.sourceforge.net/

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development  |
|                           |             Salem Radio Labs                |
| Stult's Report:                                                         |
|       Our problems are mostly behind us.  What we have to do now is     |
| fight the solutions.                                                    |