[BC] Another Shoe drops

Tom Bosscher tom
Fri May 6 12:01:48 CDT 2005

	In the never ending quest for dumbing artist product to the public,
many radio stations have been notified that new songs will no longer be
delivered by mail, but transmitted to them, "In CD Quaility".

	To wit:

	We have been notified that most of our songs will be coming to us from
DSNY/MPE. I sent them an email asking about audio quality:

***********************************

 >> The question:

 > Hello,
 >
 >     There is a group of engineers for the broadcast industry who are
concerned as to what happens to the artist's product when it is sent
through the MPE system.

 >     What type of compression algorithm is used? Here at Cornerstone
University Radio, all products are transfered digitally from the CD's at
44.1 sampling and a full 16 bit audio path.

 >     Could you please let me know what size file a typical 3 minute
song is?

 >     Thank you
 >
 >     Tom Bosscher
 >     Director of Broadcast Services and Technology
 >     Cornerstone University Radio
 >     Cornerstone University
 >     Grand Rapids, MI
 >

 >. The answer:

The files are transmitted using Og Vorbis, but at an extremely high
bitrate (starting at 750 and scaling up as high as needed).  The result
is effectively lossless compression (it is lossy, but the losses are out
of the range of hearing).

Steve Vestergaard
CEO Destiny Media Technologies, Inc.
604 609 7736 x222
http://www.dsny.com
Symbol: DSNY

     So the answer is soooo ambiguous, other than it is indeed a
compressed file. It's now official. Even the record labels don't care
about quality.

         tom bosscher