[BC] luxury! take94

Clive Warner clive
Thu May 5 23:23:59 CDT 2005

<One of the first things I did when I got to XTRA was to get the spotters
<replaced with carts. We used to have to make our own spotter tapes. They
<didn't make them anymore.

Luxury! At Skelton I had to program the programme changes by typing codes on
a perforator keyboard to punch a long, long paper tape. And if (when) it
snagged in the reader and broke, I had to do it all over again.
I was grateful when the tape was replaced with a 64x64 bit ferrite core
store (if any of you know what that was - about 4K of non-volatile memory)
and a roomful of NORBIT logic (potted discrete-component DTL circuits-so old
you cannot find a reference to it on Google.)

Clive