[BC] Asset too valuable to sell

Tom Taggart tpt
Thu May 5 20:19:30 CDT 2005

Don't forget another factor.

Recently tried to help an alum and a student manager of a tech-college
Class D to improve their station.  They wanted to make a minor change to
the station, (from 10 watts tpo to 100 watts erp).  But I couldn't even
volunteer my help, the administration blocked all of their efforts to do
anything with the station.  Eventually the administration demanded the
station management find a P.E. to prepare the minor change app.

Many school administrators are of the 60's and 70's college generation.
They remember college radio as something out of a Hollywood movie--
long-haired freaks taking over the studios, playing weird music and
smoking weirder cigarettes.  Many of these same staid administrators WERE
long-haired freaks back in the sixties.

Now they are dedicated to maintaining their perks and turf at all cost,
and the radio station is viewed as a menace to their little empires. Orden
uber alles.