[BC] seattletimes.com: Asset too valuable to sell

Alan Alsobrook radiotech
Thu May 5 17:59:01 CDT 2005

If the station is doing that good, there would be no reason to sell it.
With just a small amount of underwriting it could provide a positive
cash flow. thus supporting it's self and giving a little something back
to the school system.  If someone wants to buy it for 8 Mil you can bet
the cash can be easily made. So in closing I think it's more valuable to
the school in the building than sold down the street.

I take care of a College station that after 10 years just started
accepting underwriting. They have different companies beating on their
door wanting to sponsor the station. They declined the offers for a long
time holding on to the theory of a truly Educational station. (used to
give their communications students true radio experience) for quite some
time. Now that they are accepting some underwriting (and they do keep it
very limited) they are able to pay for the operational costs of the
station and are paying back the cost of a recent facility upgrade caused
by a required relocation of the antenna and transmitter.

While dance music may not be a treasure in your mind, I seriously doubt
that the entity that wants to buy it for 8 Mil has anything other than
another religious outlet in mind. (paying 8 mil, they want it for the
cash it can raise not the word it can spread) In the mean time you have
high school kids getting a nice introduction to radio. a few of which
you'll probably be passing in the hallways of some station near you in a
few years. So yes it is a valuable education asset, and most likely
provides a nice service for the school.

--
Alan Alsobrook CSRE CBNT
St. Augustine Fl. 32086 904-829-8885