[BC] seattletimes.com: Asset too valuable to sell

Barry Mishkind barry
Thu May 5 17:36:17 CDT 2005

The problem may not have its best example in this Seattle school, but is
unfortunately being replayed all over the country, as short-sighted boards
looking for a quick money fix, sell stations that have been built on the
backs of the volunteers and folks who accepted lower pay in order to work
in this environment.

WVXU is another example ... although being sold to a local "community"
station, the university (Xavier) chose the quick cash over a facility that
not only paid for itself, but received national acclaim.

Clearly, Xavier likely will never be able to replace WVXU. And, even if
everyone gets jobs at the GUC, the tremendous historical and preservation
efforts that Dr. Jim King had spearheaded will never be the same. They
might even become ... well ... (sorry) ... GUC-Y

At 03:01 PM 5/5/2005, Craig Bowman wrote